I’m working on a english writing question and need a sample draft to help me study.
Answer the following in complete paragraphs using textual detail and quotation. Make connections to other writers or texts whenever it seems helpful to do so.
1. The metaphor of passing accrues several layers of meaning. What are they? How do they relate to each other?
2. Whose story is this? Clares or Irenes?
3. What does this passage mean: [Irene] was caught between two allegiances, different, yet the same. Herself. Her race. Race: The thing that bound and suffocated her. Whatever steps she took, or if she took none at all, something would be crushed. A person or the race. Clare, herself, or the race. Or, it might be all three.
4. It has been suggested that Passing uses race more as a device to sustain suspense than as a compelling social issue. What is the relation of race to subjective experience in the text?
5. What is the significance of narrative endings in Larsen? Why does Passing refuse to specify how Clare is killed and who is responsible?
6. Does the heightened attention to color and clothing and atmosphere in Passing makes us wonder if Larsens concentration on mulatto characters indicates an unmistakable privileging of whiteness.