I’m working on a science multi-part question and need support to help me learn.
Watch the TED Talk, What happens when patients become leaders on the health team? https://youtu.be/jxCG6d4LiGQ
2. Initial Post (300 words)
- Discuss, how can vulnerable individuals become leaders in their health care. Give specific examples for specific groups of vulnerable individuals.
Research issues of race and ethnicity that cause individuals to fall into the vulnerable population category. What makes them vulnerable? Why? What resources are currently available to provide the services needed for this group? Write up a report on your findings
Research what is being done in your state to address health disparities caused by race.
Read the report from 2008 done by the Virginia Department of Health:
Then read the information page about racial disparities in COVID-19 outcomes and preventive measures:
After reviewing this information, write a 1-2 page summary of how the effects of COVID-19 differ by race. In your summary, identify differences in number of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths by race, and what determinants drive those differences. Upload to the dropbox below.
Drug Addicted as Vulnerable Population
Investigate: What is Drug Addiction
Investigate programs in your area for drug addicted individuals. This may include prescription drug abuse, illegal drug abuse, and alcoholism. Speak to someone who works with these individuals. Write a short report on who the individuals affected are, what special needs they have due to their addiction, what resources are available.
Case Study: Complete the case study, I Can Quit Anytime I Want
Project Assignment: Time to put it all together
By now you should have compiled much of the completed Project. This week you will work on completing the project. Work on each vulnerable population. Make sure it is specific for the population and the event. Refine those you completed each week, adding more information, resources, and examples.
The response to the prompt below.
2. Initial Post (300 words)
- Who are the vulnerable? Discuss who the vulnerable are now that you have studied a variety of groups. Introduce another group of individuals who would be considered vulnerable and why. Give examples of the special health needs of this population.
Final Course Project- Written Portion
Welcome to the final project. You will be surprised that you have already done a lot of the initial work. Now it is time to put it all together.
1. Complete all elements of the final project
2. Upload your written project below. Be sure you have checked against the project rubric.
Final Project Presentations
(Find directions in Important Documents)
1. Complete the Final Presentations
2. Upload the presentation portion below.
As a Public Health Worker you have a job with the public health service. This includes working with all issues of public health and safety but especially special needs for women and children, homeless, immigrants, racial or ethnic minorities, elderly, socioeconomically disadvantaged, underinsured and others who are considered fragile due to physical or medical conditions. These groups are particularly affected during times of natural or man-made disasters.
As part of your job you will need to respond to events that occur in your state. In response to the event you will need to assess the potential health risks, research and explain currently available services, and develop a description of each individual’s future sustainable planning. At the same time you need to develop a sense for such broader items as ethics in resource allocation and other issues over which you don’t have direct control keeping in mind current health disparities and vulnerable populations.
For this project you will create the following deliverables:
- Written Project: You will be assisting a vulnerable group affected by the event to whom you are expected to provide the necessary guidance so that they can seek proper assistance as well as will be able to care for their own basic healthcare needs during the event. Based on the event scenario you selected, and your study of the vulnerable populations, assemble a report in which you identify for each group: what elements of the event increased their risk, what specific needs they have, what resources can address those needs as well as ongoing needs, and what long term effects the event has on their vulnerability. Propose a solution to assist the vulnerable populations using currently available or new resources.
- Oral Presentation: Oral report on the written project.