I’m working on a social science discussion question and need support to help me understand better.
Discussion 1(a): The Intersection of Class and Culture
What is the relationship between your class and your culture? For example, consider how class affects expectations around acceptable conversation topics, perceptions about being elitist, and norms involving gifts or sharing resources. Class can provide privilege in the form of access that would not be granted to a minority group, or it can create further barriers to minorities already experiencing forms of discrimination.
In this Discussion, you consider your experience with class and compare this experience with the experiences of others in this course. Drawing from the intersectionality perspective, consider how class impacts the experience of race, ethnicity, age, and gender.
Post your response to the following:
- Describe aspects of your culture that can be attributed to class.
- Explain the relationship of class to race, ethnicity, age, and/or gender.
- Compare and contrast your experience of class with that of your colleague.
- Explain why it is important to consider class in conjunction with other identity characteristics a client may hold.
- Discussion 1(b): Creating Safe Spaces
- How inclusive is your workplace? Are diverse identities welcomed or are individuals expected to conform to a mono-cultural organization? Social workers advocate for the inclusion of diverse identities within places of employment because social workers recognize the strengths inherent in different perspectives.In this Discussion, you analyze a work environment and steps you can take to increase the responsiveness to diverse groups.Post your response to the following:
- Explain how your current or a past place of work (paid or volunteer) was inclusive or not inclusive of diverse groups.
- Provide two specific examples.
- Provide two ways you can advocate for greater inclusivity at this place of employment.
- Provide an additional strategy to create safe spaces and encourage diversity within a work agency.
- Describe any challenges to creating these safe spaces and ways to overcome these challenges.