I’m working on a global studies writing question and need a sample draft to help me understand better.
Respond to at least two of the following ideas from the video:
- Some believe that human rights is merely a Western construct.
- We have the idea of right and wrong rooted in religion…When we construct a secular ethic to substitute for the religious one in which we no longer hold any confidence…the instructions turn out to be quite similar.
- All powerfully emancipatory ideas get sucked into a vortex of power which seeks not to remove them but to twist their meaning to suit the powerful.
- We risk our culture if we collude in the idea that our culture is so valuable that we can afford to depart from it in order to secure it.
- We are driven to engage in this energetic, empathetic solidarity…this common intuitive commitment to reaching out. This is what makes us, in the end, a human rights culture.