I’m working on a social science writing question and need a sample draft to help me learn.
In this paper, reflect on the readings, viewings, lectures, and your experience with learning The Jarabe Tapatío. Consider everything you have learned and experienced: how the dance looked, how it felt to practice and then perform it, and the story of “The Jarabe Tapatío.” Also, reflect on how the genre of folklórico dance more broadly shapes identity (national, ethnic, race) both in México and the United States. You will be required to use these as support for your writing in this paper.
- Describe the relationship(s) between Folklórico and nationality, ethnicity, and race. What do you understand this relationship to be? Discuss the development of folklórico dance as a genre in the United States and México. Use the readings, lectures, and viewings to support your ideas.
- Next, discuss The Jarabe Tapatío. What is the story of the dance? Talk about any attributes of movement, culture, or performance that you think are identifiably “Mexican folklórico.”
- Lastly, reflect on your practical movement experience of learning The Jarabe Tapatío through the dance tutorials at home, live class meetings, and your performance. Describe the movements you experienced/observed. Consider how it felt in your body, what you did/did not focus your attention on, how you used space, relationship to the music, and other factors that affected your movement (e.g. learning at home during a pandemic, someone else’s direction, cultural codes, etc.)
Use these prompts as a guide for writing your paper. Allow your responses to develop with evidence from your readings, viewings, and movement experience. I am looking for your ability to clearly articulate your ideas with supporting movement descriptions and textual support.
Your paper should be submitted in paragraph form, 2-3 pages, double-spaced, 1inch margins, in 12pt Times New Roman. Please include a title and citations for the videos and/or texts that you discuss. Only include a Works Cited page if you used sources other than our class readings and videos. (This does not contribute to your 2-3 pages.)
Reflection Paper Checklist:
- Your name, instructor name, class, and date
- A Title for your paper
- Your 2-3-page essay in paragraph form with in-text citations.
- An additional page entitled Works Cited with your citations.