I’m working on a sociology discussion question and need an explanation to help me learn.
For the back to school issues of two magazines in September 2016, boys and girls were presented with very different covers and content. While the two magazines are not related, they were displayed side-by-side, which only reinforced the disparate messages.
- Discuss the different messaging aimed at boys and girls in these two covers. Be detailed in your examples.
- Who do you think this is aimed at (sex/gender, age, race, etc…)?
- Why do you think these magazine covers have such different messages?
- Is it deliberate?
- What does this tell you about our contemporary understanding of masculinity and femininity?
- Discuss using key concepts from this module.
- What are two things you would change on each magazine cover?