I’m working on a global health writing question and need a sample draft to help me study.
According to Mary-Jo DelVecchio Good, what is the relationship between the “culture of medicine” and the larger society? How does she illustrate this through a close examination of “clinical narratives”?
In order to receive full credit your answer should:
- Define the culture of medicine
- Define clinical narratives
- Draw from the readings to provide at least one concrete example of the culture of medicine
- Draw from the readings to provide at least one concrete example of how the culture of medicine is shaped by forces outside of medicine
Evidence is mounting that Covid-19 is disproportionately burdening lower income populations and racial minorities such as African Americans and Native Americans, especially those with pre-existing medical conditions. We have examined several theories to explain why these populations are generally more vulnerable to poor health outcomes. These theories include, Health Lifestyle Theory, Fundamental Cause Theory, House’s focus on psychosocial risk factors, Marmot’s focus on the role of status gradients, Garcia’s model of deep structural deprivation, and Nichter’s focus on cultural processes and individual subjectivity. Drawing on readings, lectures, and news reporting, make an argument for which theory best explains the social patterning we are seeing in the infection and death rate with the Covid-19 pandemic.
In order to receive full credit, your answer should:
- Clearly define the theoretical perspective you have chosen to apply
- Differentiate your theory from the other perspectives
- Cite at least one example that illustrates why your chosen theory offers the best explanation