I’m working on a chemistry test / quiz prep and need support to help me understand better.
Attached Document has all the questions, 7 in total. Some Short answers and some longer answers required.
There are seven questions to answer.
- Describe the structure of a compound made up of the bonding types below and draw a dot and cross diagram to illustrate it.
- Ionic bonded
- Covalent bonded
- Dative bonded
- What type(s) of bonding do these compounds display?
- Describe the four different types of solid structures and draw a diagram of each to illustrate them.
- Use your knowledge of structure and bonding to explain why sodium bromide has a melting point that is higher than that of sodium, and higher than that of sodium iodide.
- In a pure metallic element, the atoms are said to be metallically bonded.
- Describe the environment that atoms in a piece of sodium experience.
- Describe what has happened to the electrons in the outermost shell of the sodium atoms and explain what property this leads to.
- What happens to these bonds when the metal
- melts? ii) boils?
- Draw the structure and indicate the bond angle for the following molecules:
- With regards to BF3 and NH3 , explain why they display different structures despite both being a central atom with three more atoms bonded to it. Give examples of other atoms which despite similar bonding, display different structures. Explain how these are the result of electron repulsion theory.