I’m working on a art writing question and need a sample draft to help me learn.
In an essay, compare two contemporary global artists working in any medium and from any region or nation (or perhaps they are transnational artists who have no nation). Include in your comparison the following:
– the themes or content of their work
– their stylistic, technical, formal & material approach to their works (much contemporary art uses diverse media, often at same time)
– the creative contexts of their work – ie what does their work respond to with regard to time, place, culture, identity, race, gender etc?
– how their work relates to broader themes and concerns of contemporary art in more general way (what are some of the issues and themes commonly explored in contemporary art and do these two artists respond in any way to these concerns or not?)
– detailed analysis of examples of their work (focus on 2-3 at most for each artist) to support the points you make.
– anything else you consider relevant to your essay of comparison. Do some reading around contemporary art (e.g. the articles below) for some ideas of artists, themes and trends. And of course the latter chapters of your textbook will have relevant information too.